July 29, 2010

AZ Beer Pong

Ohh shit the "Mostly About Beer Pong Blog" has two, thats right TWO posts in a row about beer pong! How crazy is that??

This one is not about some partying that followed beer pong or about any big tournaments we just got done playing in though... This post is addressing the decline of AZ beer pong or at least the community that follows it.

When i started coming out i already knew the rules, me and my friends had been playing the WSOBP rules exclusively in our parties just in preparation of the world series. So of course since i already knew what i was doing i was not at much of a disadvantage when i played in the first two satellites that were ever hosted in AZ or even when i started playing in the weekly tournaments. I actually think i might of been a little better when i started coming out due to my confidence levels.

The regulars were all very nice and supportive, they very quickly accepted me as one of their own. I loved every bit of it, it was like being in one big brotherhood where everyone had the same goal to play in the world series and did everything they could to encourage each other to get better so we(as a state) could be one of the big competitors at the WSOBP. This was before we had all decided who the "Best players in AZ" were, we were all essentially equal in each others minds..

Naturally over time we have pretty much all agreed on who the best players are and since then the "brotherhood" if you will has disintegrated. No longer do people try to encourage each other to get better or try to challenge each other to be the best in the country. Instead it has turned into a free for all where the top 5 or so players runs their mouth during every game until they come out on top. When anyone made a shot you used to hear "nice shot man" and we would keep going, but now-a-days you will most likely hear something more like "eat a dick bitch im running three next turn you dont have a chance." ...or something along those lines anyway. Most people applaud their opponents missed shots rather than their made shots, once again this is great, when we play Cali or Vegas or something but not when you are all on the same team!

Now don't get me wrong i understand that if we want to do good in the world series or other big tournaments, we need to get used to the shit talking because it is impossible to avoid at such big tournaments. It just seems to me like other states or cities are closer than we are anymore. If someone talks shit to one of our players we have their back 300% but when it comes to making each other better we have each others back about 10% of the time. It has came down to pretty much just me encouraging other players when they make shots against me and everyone else in my group of "friends" rooting against my team or trying to get us to fuck up when we are doing good...

To anyone who plays with us, how often do you hear people rooting against Luckey and Josh when they play together? how about Risky Mormon? OK now how often do you hear people try to fuck Pizzi and I up when we play together or root against us? if you say its even you are deaf or in denial... I am not saying that Pizzi and I are on the same level as Josh and Luckey or anything i am just saying i do not understand why we continue to build up the best players and tear down or discourage the players that are not quite at their level yet. Wouldn't it make more sense to have as many players as possible at that level so when we go to big tournaments such as the world series we have more of a presence so we are laughed at when we try to claim that we can hang with the best?

Im sorry I guess I just miss the comradery we used to have, it is still there but at a fraction of the strength that it used to be. Anyway i am just ranting now... to end my rant i probably will not see most of you at the weekly tournaments much, at least not for a while. I would much rather spend my money on a night out at the tilted kilt without all the BS and practice at home in my spare time. So good luck to you all and I am sure I will see most of you at any satellites that I get a chance to play in.

And now I leave you with a few pictures(and even a small video) from that first satellite that was hosted here in AZ!








4 comments:

  1. jarred this is azn Kim...i completely agree with your rant here...it totally stinks that people can't be supportive of each other but to be honest the money is huge and the bar for talent is pretty much equal for about 10 of the guys out here. which means people will prolly do whatever they can to win...nonetheless Kim and i are definitely old school and applaud every shot made and you can definitely hear from me "nice shot" don't be too discouraged man...it'll give you wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somewhat agree with you....The problem is, a lot of these guys come out to win the money, that's why they are there and why they play, on top of the fact that it's competitive fun. With that being said, those individuals aren't going to applaud you when their main focus is to win at all costs. I'm a bit different in that I don't care about the money because I don't need it, it's just a plus for me. I love the competitive nature of the game and no matter what I do, I want to be the best, so when I'm playing guys of my caliber, I'll talk shit as much as I say nice shot if they do a very timely 3 cups as an example. I'm probably the most quiet of the top players and just allow my shooting to do the talking. I do my best to say nice shot to my lesser competition and even take it a step further to help them out, like Clint and his last cup and Ryan's overall shooting for example. Good posts though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that is the main problem everyone is there for the money, the problem i have with that is our tournaments are big cash tournaments... if you win what are you bringing home like 120 a team? if it was 500-1000 i can see getting that worked up over it to the point of winning at all costs. But i also know i need the money a whole lot more than most of the people that do this shit considering how most of them do not have hardly any bills or live with parents etc. So I don't know I guess I am one of the few who cant compromise my sportsmanship for a few dollars. Ohh well, either way ill keep doing what i am doing and they can keep doing things their way its not that big of a deal maybe ill just start wearing headphones like Matt does...

    ReplyDelete
  4. +1 completely!!!! I have been asking the question lately when did it only become about the money? This is a great post my friend and I hope it open peoples eyes to many aspects of our game...and Brandon not talking trash or getting all crazy is one of the reason we work well together as a team and congratulate when the other do shoot well. It makes it fun for me at least.
    CHris

    ReplyDelete